6 Responses

1. cindy cash says:

What a beautiful piece of writing, Annabelle–one obviously richly endowed with clear and enduring love, pain, pride, and acceptance. You have greatly honored your father with this tribute. I, myself, am blessed to count you as family and a much-loved and respected sister.

Always,

Cindy

2. Anna Belle says:

Aw, Cindy. How you touch me. The Cashes are so lucky to have you as part of the family. I never imagined a blog could be such a wonderful thing. I think these thoughts so often, remembering Daddy, but when does one have a chance to say them? And to have such lovely responses from my wonderful family (including Webster III!). I’m so glad we will see each other soon.

3. moxie_mocha says:

One of the blogs that I read on a regular basis mentioned about Blogging Against Disablism. I never heard of it before. I’ve heard of audism, which is discrimination against deaf people; I’m deaf. On that blog, there was a link to the list of blogs on the “Blogging Against Disabilism.” I got onto your blog, and I am blown away by your story. Wow! I’ll be coming back and read more of your posts.

moxie_mocha

4. Anna Belle says:

Many thanks, moxie_mocha. I’d never heard of “disabilism” before either. I took it seriously since the Web Standards Project, which has high credibility with me, linked to it.

I would be most appreciative if you could let me know in a blog post of your own or comments here or via email what webmasters can do to improve the experience for deaf people. I don’t think my church’s site has anything that would be problematic for the deaf, but I could well be wrong about that.

5. Chuli says:

I came across your photo in a google search after I visited this wonderful memorial. I am a professor at Western Illinois University. I am honored that I often am allowed to teach on disability culture. In regards to FDR I teach he was not ashamed, but pragmatic and intelligent. At the time, disability was viewed as weakness. He was an intelligent man that knew the leader of the free world could not be associated with perceptions of this nature. I do wish he would have seized the opportunity to propel the disability rights movement forward. Alas, maybe he knew America wasn’t ready. We have indeed come a long way, but we have a long way to go.

• Anna Belle says:

Thanks, Chuli! I agree — America wasn’t ready then. I guess it’s closer now, but I’d bet it’s still not exactly ready. I loved the series of “West Wing” episodes when the President had to reveal he suffered from MS right as he was starting to run for re-election. The uphill battle felt spot-on to me.